|Saturated fat||4.1 g|
This simple-to-make savory breakfast bowl is a healthy alternative to a traditional fry-up
Cheesy steel-cut oatmeal becomes a vehicle for a lovely runny egg yolk in this savory bowl, but don’t let it distract you from the fiber packed into the tiny whole grains and the steamed spinach hiding underneath. Frying the eggs makes prep fast enough for a Monday morning, but if you are feeling fancy, poached eggs can elevate it to Sunday brunch.
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil, add oats, and simmer until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat, add Cheddar, and stir well until cheese has melted. (Add a splash of water, if necessary, for a smooth, creamy consistency.) Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, add 1/2 tsp oil to large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and thyme and cook until browned, 5 to 8 minutes. Remove to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Add spinach and garlic to skillet, stirring until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove to plate with mushrooms and wipe skillet clean with damp paper towel, using a spatula to keep your hands away from heat.
- Heat remaining 1/2 tsp oil over medium-low. Gently crack egg into skillet and cook until edges begin to brown, about 2 minutes. Cover and cook until white is set but yolk is still runny, 3 to 4 minutes more.
- Transfer oatmeal to serving bowl. Place fried egg on top of oatmeal. Spoon mushrooms and spinach to sides of egg and sprinkle all over with scallions. Add a splash of hot sauce, if desired.